Search This Blog


Diary Of A Magazine Intern

Day 1

My anxiety should have been through the roof today, it normally is whenever I'm going somewhere new for the first time. Maybe it was sleeping with my citrine cluster or wearing my moss agate pendant, but I was pretty damn calm today. I was a little scared that my dream internship wouldn't live up to my expectation, but there was no need to worry. 

Feeling proud of myself for getting on a foreign train for the first time and getting to the other end in one piece, I was able to somewhat, confidently walk into the building. That building. A different magazine on every level and multiple magazines on each one. Belle Magazine was where I was going. It's exactly how it looks in the movies, only smaller. It was like a dream, this is perfect. It was almost as if this was exactly what I was meant to be doing. 
Visitors pass in hand, I was picked up from the lobby, and I waved my little card through the gates and entered. Just like in The Devil Wears Prada, there are gates at the entrance that can only be opened with a pass. It feels so special being able to walk through like I'm entering an exclusive club. 
You could see the fashion girls dressed in heels and styled, but each magazine have their own workplace culture. Passing people in the elevators I saw some girls in the latest street style while others in some neat-but-casual outfits. I quickly learned that I didn't need to wear heels and switched to flat boots for the remainder of the week.

After being introduced to everyone, I sat down at a spare computer and was given the latest 3 issues of Belle to read through as a reference. 

As an intern, my days weren't exactly planned out, so I was given tasks throughout the day as they came up. They had my e-mail address and simply sent through tasks they wanted me to do. Some photo image processing (my specialty), writing some captions, and my first coffee run as an intern. I know some people hate to do that and the coffee run is practically the job description for some interns, but it almost made me feel like I was ticking something off my "intern bucket list." The famous coffee run, check. 
I will say, thank goodness for mobile phones and their maps. Being new to Sydney and asked to walk to a coffee shop, and to Officeworks, makes for a tricky run. "Um, what? Where do you want me to go? I have no clue how to get there." Thank you phone, and thank me for being a modern woman and being able to figure it out all on my own. I got there and back safely and was even able to explore the city a little. I even found Sephora!

The captions I was writing are those located on the news pages where 20-word sentences explain an image. You know the ones? They're in every magazine on the pages that have a collage of images and captions around them. That's what I did, only talking about homewares. Basically, journalism meets blog. Trying to explain what the item is, why it's awesome and what it's made from in an interesting, sassy way. In 20 words.

The people were nice, and so patient (not that they needed to be) and let me take things slow. On the way home, I even felt confident enough to find my way, in the dark, to the train station and catch the correct train with ease. It was almost as if I'd done it a million times. Even while on the train it all felt normal. 

Day 2-3

By this point, it feels like I've been doing this for years. The train is as easy to catch as it is in Melbourne (thank goodness) so getting home and getting there isn't at all a problem. Although I almost got lost on day 2 coming from Town Hall station walking towards the building. I came out of the train station from a different exit, got confused and started walking the opposite way. I figured it out after a little while when I didn't recognize anything and put myself back on track, and I felt just as proud when I did.

Walking in on Tuesday, I sat back at the desk that is officially the intern desk (I think) and waited to be given my tasks via email. Another coffee run and this time I didn't need my GPS, I knew exactly where to go and was so happy for myself. I'm one of the Sydney-siders now!

The tasks for both day 2 and 3 were the same as day 1. Which I was completely fine with. I logged some photos to be used in the next issue, which required the downloading of images that were sent to me, and filing them into the system. Then I wrote some captions for the magazine. That was the fun part and my specialty. I'm kind of excited to see if my captions turn up in the next issue. 

On Wednesday, I witnessed my first production meeting as all the staff sat around a table to discuss what they were doing, and how they were going. It was all quite interesting, but also a very warm discussion. It was a gentle talk of tasks, and then everyone parted ways. Not at all as scary as Uni makes that sound.

Day 4-5

These days seemed just a tad busier in terms of things I needed to get done. Of course, I was still given the same tasks - photo processing and caption writing - but they seemed a little more intense. Like there was more. I was given press releases and asked to turn them into short, news-like captions. That's basically my Journalism Diploma in a nutshell. But there were quite a few press releases and getting the wording right took some time. I finished most of them on Thursday but had to leave some for Friday. 

Which brings me onto Friday which by this point it was clear that I was working for the market editor with captions. Which pleased me as this was what I was trained to do at uni, and I enjoyed it. A large book is going to be released soon, and they needed to make sure they knew which stockists were mentioned. For that, a list needed to be written up. The list was my job, and it was a tedious one at that. I typed up each individual stockist and figured out which ones were no longer in business and which ones they missed. It was very interesting holding a massive mock-up of the book with almost 400 pages. The book was held together with massive bull-dog clips and flicking through it felt so, I don't know, real? I'd always wondered how books are created, or even magazines, and seeing a print-out bound together loosely for reference explained it all.

Finishing off my last set of captions, my week of interning came to a close. I didn't know how long it would go for when I began, and although I'm quite sad it was only a week, I understand that it couldn't have gone for too long unpaid.

Almost out of nowhere I heard music coming from the hall where another magazine office was located. The Belle team had already put on some Lana Del Rey and Madonna, but down the hall I was hearing Maroon 5 too. Some wine and snacks were brought out, which were such a surprise, but also made sense. After a long busy week why not relax a little on Friday?

If I had of known Friday was my last day, I would have brought in a bouquet of flowers for the editor-in-chief as a thank you. Instead, they gave me gifts of some lovely fancy candles and handwash. 

I left feeling accomplished and a little sad. It was such an enjoyable experience, and it's exactly what I want out of a career. It was all things I like to do, can do and earned a Diploma for. I felt so grown up. The environment was so warm and friendly, everyone was supportive and appreciative of one another. Just looking down at my desk covered in papers and magazines, made me feel so good. I always felt great with my work and the nod of approval I got from the editors made it worth it.

Interning at a magazine is an amazing experience and one that I am so grateful for. My Journalism Diploma completely prepared me for this environment, and I couldn't have been happier.

Photo by Sheree Grace

- Sheree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for some mail:


Any and all posts that are sponsored or include gifted items will be identified in each post with an individual disclaimer at the bottom of the post stating the nature of it (as either sponsored or gifted.)
All photos are taken by ©Sheree Grace for Kindly, Sheree unless stated otherwise. Posts will always have an indication at the bottom verifying photo credits if sourced elsewhere. Photos by Sheree Grace are not to be taken or used without permission and must be credited with a link if given.